Mittwoch, 6. November 2013

Album of the Week, Episode 121: Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman, I'm A Machine(2004)


"Come here baby I love your company
We could do it and start a family
She was living alone unhappily
We could do it, it's right romantically"

So simple and so catchy - that's how "Romantic Rights" from Death From Above 1979 sounds. "You're A Woman, I'm A Machine" is their only LP which was released in 2004. First time I heard their music was also in 2004. I bought an issue of the german music magazine "VISIONS" and "Romantic Rights" was include on a free compilation which was inside. Since then I stumbled quite often over this band but never really listened to their album.

That was a huge mistake because now I know what great album I could have listened to then. But could have/should have/would have whatever. I finally gave
it a shot and it was worth it. DFA1979s is really...uhm...sexy. Yeah, that's how I would describe it. It sounds really rulebreaking, androgynous and cool. The lyrics are sometimes pretty disturbing, though. For example, I don't really get what "Black History Month" is about.(It's called like this because of the month it was written) Either it's about war, dark times in history, racism....or whatever the fuck it is about. Judging by the titles the songs could be about sex, sexuality and relationships in general: "Little Girl", "Pull Out", "Sex Results"(Sex with co-workers?)... And after giving it a closer look: Fuck yeah, it IS about sex and such. Just look up the lyrics of "Pull Out". Dammit, it is how it is. Stop interpreting ginormous bullshit in lyrics.

Also, I can't remember any band that sounds like this. Well, except Queens Of The Stone Age, maybe. DFA1979 sound for me a bit like a minimalistic version of QOTSA because only three instruments the band is using(synths, drums and bass). If you haven't heard of them it is time you give them a chance. Looking for incredible, catchy and dancable as fuck noise rock? Here it is.

9/10 deposit bottles

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen