Samstag, 29. Juni 2013

Album of the week, Episode 103: Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out(1982)

To be honest, although I always liked goth-type music like Batcave(such as Alien Sex Fiend) or Death Rock(like Christian Death or 45Grave) I didn't like Bauhaus. When I first heard "Bela Lugosi's dead" it simply confused and bored me. Well, maybe I just wasn't ready for it. Well, no. I definately wasn't ready for it. Because "The Sky's Gone Out" just blew me away.

Some of the lyrics are so deep and simple, that I don't get time. For example, the first song: "Third Uncle". It's a cover. The original was made by Brian Eno.

"There are tins
There was pork
There are legs
There are sharks
There was john
There are cliffs
There was mother
There's a poker
There was you
Then there was you."

"Third Uncle" is my first favorite on this album. My second favorite is "Spirit". It tells the story of an amazing live performance and is written in a kind of dadaistic way. It's just crazy:

"I wear a coat of drums
And dance upon your eyes
Turn the tables upside down
Change the lows to highs
Change the lows to highs

I fill you up with butterflies
Crown the heads of kings
Be glad of first night nerves
For fear gives courage wings
Fear gives courage wings"

My third favorite is the beautiful "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything". I don't know if its about growing up in Northampton(in an industrialized city) or if it's about human greed. But it's oddly beautiful and it really makes me float while listening to this. 

The music is on one side typical, minimalistic "post-punk" or whatever you may call it. On the other side there huge sound- and lyric-collages like in the three parts of "The Three Shadows". What I like about this record is: Although Bauhaus are very popular within the whole goth-scene (and such), they don't sound "typically goth" for me. I don't know, it's just my personal opinion.

The original album contains 10 songs, the cd comes with an awesome cover of David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust"(!)

Just give'em a chance.
9/10 deposit bottles
Download or rather buy that record ;)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen